Wednesday, March 28, 2012

It's been a couple of days.


Once again I just finished going thru all of the wonderful blogs out there.  I love seeing the pictures, and all the quilts people have made.  But I haven't found any time to play with the blog other than to write a couple of stories.  I finally figured out that pictures are easy to post also.  Here is one of the tops that I have made quite a few years ago, and of which a portion is part of my profile picture.


A sampler done up in purples and greens

This was a class that I took years ago, and for me it was a chance to work with some colours I am not too fond off.  I really don't like green, but it worked with the purple.  Some of the blocks have the markings on them already for quilting, just haven't gotten around to it yet.   The back of this quilt is totally pieced together also, with all the leftover fabrics from the front.  One of these days I will take quilting up again, but for the last couple of years my main sewing has been for alterations, and fixings. 

This week has been a crazy one.  With the warm weather we've been having lately, all our plants in the greenhouse grew faster than expected.  I ended up transplanting already a couple of days this week, and will do some more later this week.  We are even looking at opening the greenhouse for retail earlier this year also.  Here is a sneek peak at last years flowers www.greenacresgreenhouses.ca .  I took most of the pictures and with help of a friend put the website together.  Hope you have fun looking.  I have to change some things on it pretty soon, and put up new pictures again. 

This is all for now.  Happy reading, and keep sewing!

Maria K

9 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Beautiful quilt top. My favorite color is green but I don't seem to put it into quilts very often.
You are a very busy lady with the nursery you have. Looks like you live in a gorgeous area.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt top, I bet you are very busy right now with young plants! Enjoy!

Rosemary Dickinson said...

Hey, saw you over at the New Quilt Blog Linky Party. So nice to meet another small blogger! I don't know how you find time to sew with 5 kids! I had problems with just 2! Your quilt top looks great. I love purple!

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Welcome to the NEW Quilt Blog Linky Party! I see you added the Button! Thanks!
How did you get it like you did? It is so others can grab the codes? I don't know how to do that? Can you help me?
Tweeting your blog for you!
Enjoy your weekend!

Maria Kievit said...

Marcia, I didn't know how to grab the button at all. But my future son in law knew a little more about computers than I did, and since he didn't know either, he looked around on the web and found a website called "How to grab a button on blogger/ ehow.com" and just followed all the steps. This is how it finally showed up. With the wrong picture or caption under this one, but it's ok. It's linked!

Unknown said...

I love that quilt top! I have a green thing and nearly everything I do ends up with some green :)

Maria Kievit said...

Thanks! I usually end up using green in any quilt quite often too, especially if it's multi coloured. But that still doesn't mean that I love that colour. It often just looks good in the quilt itself. Hopefully I can get this one marked more and quilted not too long from now. I like to hand quilt my quilts right now, as I have a fear of attacking a quilt with free motion quilting.....

Maria Kievit said...

I didn't really sew too much when they were little. But if you read the first post, most of my kids are now quite a bit older. They are in school during the day, and that means that I have a lot of time on my hands as a stay at home mom. I got into the alterations business more to make some money, and to be able to stay at home for my kids. Also because of the greenhouse business that hubby has, I can't really take another job outside the home.

Maria Kievit said...

Thank you. Yes, we are starting with the transplanting, and the cleaning of all the flowers. It's busy, but I do enjoy it.